Monday, March 25, 2013

Personal Reflection

Today is my father's 87th birthday. I wanted to use this means to send him a Happy Birthday from his family in Kentucky.
 
Dad, we are thankful that God saw fit to place us in your and Mom's lives and allowed us to have parents who loved and cared for us. We are truly thankful as we reflect on the blessings that God has provided for our family. Dad's life has many chapters in it and each of those chapters could provide a book in and of themselves. Dad is a WW2 veteran (infantry soldier in the European theatre), husband of over 60 years, father of six children, grandfather and great-grandfather, bi-vocational Pastor for many years as well as a committed Christian to the cause of Christ. Today we celebrate the contribution that he has made to the lives of so many people through the years. We hear the word "hero" used in many segments of our society. In my mind our Dad was a hero. He was a hero to me because I can identify three strong characteristics in his life. First, He has a passionate love for God. Second, he has a passionate love, care, and concern for his wife and family. Third, he has a passionate love, care, and concern for people. Is my Dad perfect? No, he is not perfect. Dad faced his own set of personal struggles such as health issues from his military service. He faced the challenges of raising a large family on a small salary which led to financial struggles from time to time. He faced the challenges of ministering to hurting people as him and my Mom served as Pastors for many years of their lives. I could recount many other challenges and I am sure that there are numerous challenges that I do not even know about that he has faced. But this is what I do know; the faith in God that my Dad has possessed and shared with others has been the source of his life and well-being. This type of faith was taught in his family through the teaching of principles but he also put those principles into practice through his actions.
 
Thanks Dad for being a great example to all of us and thanks for loving your family. I am blessed to be your son.


No comments:

Post a Comment