Friday, October 26, 2012

Friendship

I consider myself to be a person that is thankful for the people that God has placed in my life.  This would include both my family as well as my friends.  God has allowed me to be surrounded by people that truly care about my well being and I am thankful that God has given to me people who truly care about me as a person.  That does not mean that I have not had to deal with some "difficult" people during my journey through life but the good people far out weigh the difficult people.  But I also realize that each of us face those moments in which we need a special embrace of love from our family and friends.  Normally those times arise when we are facing an unique struggle or circumstance that has appeared unexpectedly in our life.  It is during those moments that we look to our family and friends to form a support system of prayer, encouragement, concern and assistance.  I am thankful that God has allowed me to receive that type of ministry when I have faced my own set of daunting circumstances.  I read an article that spoke to my heart yesterday and I want to share a portion of that with you.  We need to remember that not only do we need our friends during difficult moments but we need to be that friend when our friends are going through their own challenging moments.  Take time and be a friend today.  I received a call from a wonderful friend today who took time to enquire about my well being and then asked if he could pray with me before we concluded the conversation.  Even preachers need someone to pray with them!
 
The Need for Real Friends
By Rick Ezell
"When the young man had gone, David got up from the south side of the stone Ezel, fell with his face to the ground, and bowed three times. Then he and Jonathan kissed each other and wept with each other, though David wept more. Jonathan then said to David, 'Go in the assurance the two of us pledged in the name of the LORD when we said: The LORD will be [a witness] between you and me and between my offspring and your offspring forever.' Then David left, and Jonathan went into the city" (1 Samuel 20:41-42 HCSB).

Every pilot needs a wingman. Every camper needs a buddy. Batman had Robin. The Lone Ranger had Tonto. Butch Cassidy had the Sundance Kid. Two are better than one. Survival in this world is tough whether it be physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual. You need someone to help you accomplish the tough course ahead. The Italian artist, Luciano de Crescenzo, said it best: "We are, each of us angels with only one wing; and we can only fly by embracing one other."

Never go into battle alone. You don't need a lot of money or equipment, but you do need a friend.

A real friend walks in when everyone else walks out, brings out the best in you, doesn't think you've done a permanent job when you make a fool of yourself, knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts who you've become, and gently challenges you to become better. Do you have someone like that?

Someone like Jonathan was for David, and David was for Jonathan. They were real friends. They were buddies. They needed each other. These men demonstrated mutual acceptance despite differing backgrounds. Promise, not performance, characterized their friendship: Jonathan did not have to do favors for David, and David wasn't expected to kill more giants to remain his friend. They were soul mates. Their friendship reached a depth of intimacy and trust that few relationships experience. They stood beside each other. They supported each other. They confided in each other.

Who's your Jonathan? 

No comments:

Post a Comment