Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Prayer

Each of us have situations, circumstances, or needs that we are praying about.  Our approach to prayer says much about whether or not we believe that God is capable of meeting that particular need.  I also believe that our "spiritual attitude" can be in a state of flux depending on the seriousness of the need that we are facing.  I must be careful and not allow my circumstance or situation to overwhelm or override my faith/confidence in the ability of God to minister to me in the midst of that situation.  I must not relegate prayer to my last resort but prayer must be the first priority when I reach those moments of challenge.  I read this prayer earlier this morning and I felt that it spoke to many of the needs that we sense and feel as we face the challenges of life. 
 
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:6-7 ( NIV)

Dear God,

You have instructed me to not be anxious about anything...but instead to bring everything to you in prayer and thanksgiving. If I do this, you have promised me that your peace, which passes all understanding, shall keep my heart and mind through Christ Jesus.

I come to you now for myself and on behalf of my brothers and sisters in Christ, and for those who suffer so much due to anxiety, stress, worry and in some cases depression. I pray that you will fill us with your peace; that you will touch our minds and remind us that we do not need to worry. You are our God and maker. You will handle it for us. Worrying does no good. May we lean on you, talk with you, spend time in your Word and before the throne of grace. May we fellowship with other Christians who will encourage us. Right now, this day, we give you our concerns and ask that you will work out all to our good and your glory. Thank you, Father, for loving us and carrying our burdens. Thank you, Father, for providing our needs.  Thank you, Father, for Jesus Christ our Savior and the hope He has given.  For it is in His name I pray, Amen.
 
Thank you Bro. Allen for sharing such an honest approach to our prayers at certain times in our lives.  It is very probable and possible that many of us have sensed those previously mentioned anexities at some difficult juncture of our lives.  But thanks be to God that He understands that we are mere human beings who still possess the ability to be overwhelmed by the trials of life.  Remember that Christ does not dessert us during those times but he chooses to draw close to us and in doing so He strengthens our faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment