Thursday, July 11, 2013

Reality Check

The past two weeks have found me sharing the eulogy at three funerals and one Memorial service. I enjoyed a true sense of friendship with the three people in which I participated in the celebration of their life. As a matter of fact I had served each of the three as Pastor at some time over the past 35 years. I am still amazed as I write that figure in this post. I have been involved in ministry since I was 18 years old (42 years ago) and I am constantly asking myself this question, "Where have the years gone?" I know what I have been doing with my life during that time frame but I still have a hard time putting my arms around the idea that the time has passed so swiftly. Do you have those days in which you are overwhelmed with that same reality concerning your life? Do you sense your life ebbing away from you even as we seek to resist the effects of "getting older."? I do not write this to depress you or even add to your despair but I write this to challenge you to think about your life.  Each of us need to ask ourselves these questions? Is my life truly reflecting the life of Jesus Christ? Am I sharing the love of God with my family and friends? Do I share my love and appreciation with those "special" people that God has placed in my life (both family as well as friends)? Do I cherish the gift of life that God bestows on us on a daily basis? I could write this list all day and never fully encompass those things that should be in our thought process from time to time. Let us just understand that life is precious. Let us remember that our family is an important part of our lives. Let us cherish our friendships and thank God that our paths have crossed with some wonderful people who have made a difference in our walk through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment