Friday, December 13, 2013

Christmas? Really?

A few of the Radio stations in our area began playing "Christmas music" several weeks ago, even before Thanksgiving. Our wonderful grandchildren assisted us and led us into making that discovery. As a matter of fact they make sure that the radio dial is turned to the various stations so they can listen to the "Christmas music." I might add that I do think that the music starts too early at least from my point of view but I am sure that my view is one view of many varying opinions. As a matter of fact, I am listening to some "Christmas music" as I type these words. That fact may prove that I am not a "scrooge" after all.
 
On several occasions I have heard various artists share their rendition of the song "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas." Those words have grabbed my attention to this morning. What does Christmas look like to you and to me? Is it the green trees with white or multi-colored lights? Is it the Salvation Army Bell Ringers outside the doors of your favorite store? Is it the crowds of people in the mall looking for that bargain for that special someone in their life? Is it a young child with pencil in hand looking through the latest sales advertisements and marking what he/she wants for Christmas? Is it Mom and Dad stretching the budget to make sure that they can purchase the latest toy, newest designer clothes, or the latest electronic gadget that has been produced and rolled out just in time for this shopping season? Is it an empty chair at this year's family celebration? Is it the missing smile of a friend or loved one who is celebrating in Heaven while we fight the crush of traffic in the mall or shopping center and worry about paying the bills from this Christmas celebration? Is it the Pastor/Preacher talking about the manger and the baby Jesus who is tucked neatly inside the swaddling clothes? Is it the choir singing songs that they only sing once a year? As you can tell this could develop into an unending list of "what does Christmas look like?"
 
The easiest answer to this question could be that Christmas should look like a group of family and friends sharing with each other about the great love that God has for the whole world of which each of us are an important part. This same group of individuals would also share about the daily blessings that God places in our lives. I can not answer for anyone but myself and I realize that I need to re-examine what I want Christmas to look like. What Christmas does look like may not necessarily be what Christmas truly should look like. I began this post by thinking that I would tell you what I thought Christmas should look like but the more I write the more I realize that is not my responsibility today. The shepherds saw the original Christmas from a different perspective than the Magi saw the birth and development of Christ. Each of us may see Christmas from a different point of view because we may need a fresh, unique and personal revelation of Christ at this point in our life.
 
Take a moment and ask God "What do you want me to see this year at Christmas?" I believe that the Spirit will open your eyes and your heart to a fresh view of the "old story" and you can realize that the joy and peace of Christmas still exists and that God is still very real to each of us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment