Thursday, December 5, 2013

Hope is Found in the Word of God

There are times that my spirit and soul are overwhelmed as I reflect on all of the "needs" that are present all around me and the ministry call which God has placed in my life. I am sure that I am not much different than any other Pastor or Ministry Leader that I know. My phone rings with people sharing the needs in their lives. I receive text messages, emails, FB messages, letters in the mail and I become involved in personal conversations where people share about the struggles that they are facing. These words are not being written with the intention to grumble or complain; rather they are being written to remind us that there are people all around us who are facing some serious challenges or struggles and they are depending on someone to pray and intercede for them. It is during these moments and moments like these that we look to the Word of God for hope, comfort and encouragement. We also need to realize that these situations happen on a daily basis and not just at this time of the year (Winter & Christmas). I am sure that each of us know of someone who is dealing with something that is bigger than their ability to "fix, repair, or change it." What do we say to those people? We can say to them that the Word of God provides a resource that is far greater than any library in America. The Word of God will speak truth and hope into our moments of concern and despair. I want to share a favorite Psalm that is speaking to my heart this week.
 
Psalm 46
God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging.
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall;
    God will help her at break of day.
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
    he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Come and see what the Lord has done,
    the desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease
    to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
    he burns the shields with fire.
10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”
11 The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.  (NIV)
 
Be blessed and strengthened as you meditate on the promises of God!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment