Thursday, January 23, 2020

Spiritual Development

I am thankful that God has given me another day to love and serve Him for which I am very grateful. I find myself thinking about each day of my life and my desire to do what is pleasing to God. I realize that I have more days behind me than I have in front of me according the average length of a man’s life. BUT I am still determined to give my best to our Savior as my life moves forward.

I can reflect on my journey and recognize the growth and maturity that has taken place in my natural life as well as my spiritual life. I am thankful that God has not given up on me even during the days of challenge and difficulty. God’s plan for our lives is greater than we can ever imagine. We will give up on ourselves before God gives up on us. Isn’t the love of God simply amazing? I have a desire to continue my spiritual growth even though I have been on this journey for a good number of years.

I feel that the present day church must see the need to draw closer to God. I am sure that you can sense that in my correspondence as well as any message that I may preach at New River or at any other church! But I am concerned that many of us present day believers do not take enough of our time and apply it to the development of our journey with Christ. Is it possible that we have settled into the routine of just complaining about the demise of our society yet do very little in seeking more of God? Is it possible that we have knowledge about God but fail to continue pursuing more of God in our lives? Am I leaving the right example for my family and friends? Do people see Christ at work in my life? I believe that each of us face these challenges in some shape or form. I (we) must shake off any interference of the enemy and be more determined to listen carefully to the call of God to seek His face. We take time for many things that please or satisfy us but DO WE TAKE TIME FOR GOD?

Let us take a moment and notice the response of the Psalmist David to the call from God. Psalm 27:7-9,Hear, O Lordwhen I cry with my voice! Have mercy also upon me, and answer me. When You said, “Seek My face,” My heart said to You, “Your face, Lord, I will seek.” Do not hide Your face from me; Do not turn Your servant away in anger; You have been my help; Do not leave me nor forsake me, O God of my salvation.(NKJV)

Let us notice that David made a definitive decision. His response was not a maybe or I will get around to it when I have time. Let me remind you of his words; “Your face, Lord, I will seek.” He did not say that I will seek your hand (blessings) but I will seek your face (relationship). We spend much time in seeking His blessings but very little time seeking the continuing development of our relationship with God. Is there any wonder that our faith is so weak and we easily crumble under the attacks of satan? (Note: I am speaking to me as well as to you.)

What will we do with the present day call from Heavenly Father? Will we say yes or will we say no? Our spiritual future depends on our response to God. There are only two destinations for us to consider. We will either enter into the presence of God (Heaven) at death or we will be separated from God for all of eternity (Hell) at death. But we can celebrate the fact that God offers each of us the opportunity to make the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment