Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Believing

Hebrews 11:5-6, "By faith Enoch was taken away so that he did not see death, “and was not found, because God had taken him”; for before he was taken he had this testimony, that he pleased God. But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (NKJV)

The power to believe is a wonderful tool/ability that God has provided for each of us. Can you remember looking into the wide open eyes of a child as you shared a story with him or her? They hung on each word that you were sharing with them even when it stretched their ability to believe what you were saying to them. Why did they respond to the story with such "faith" and anticipation? I believe that in many cases their response was based on their relationship with the storyteller! They knew and trusted the storyteller and their relationship with that person gave credence or the ability to believe the story being shared!

I believe the same needs to be said about our relationship with God and His Word, the Bible. We can trust the truth of the Bible because we have a relationship with the author/storyteller. We must believe that He is God and that His Word reveals a plan of redemption and spiritual development for fallen humanity. How is your relationship with God today?

G.K. Chesterton, a noted writer in the early part of the 20th century shared these ideas. I would ask that you ponder them with me today.

When I stop trusting in the God of Scripture... I'll believe in anything, and eventually that will lead me to destruction. But now, by contrast, if I trust in the God of Scripture I'm no longer led by MY righteousness and holiness. Instead, I'm trusting in a God who is so holy and so righteous that my tendency will be to build my life around Him (rather than Him around me).

I'll use His standards of right and wrong -- not mine.

I'll build on His morality in my life -- not mine.

I'll build on His expectations for me... not mine.

AND I know if I trust in Him in these matters... I will be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment