Thursday, March 5, 2015

Personal Reflections

Deuteronomy 6:6-7, "And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up." (NLT)

The last week has been one in which I have reached some personal milestones in my life. Last week my wife and I celebrated our 43rd Wedding Anniversary and today I am celebrating my 62nd birthday. A quick review of those numbers reveal to you that Ann and I were very young when we were married. Let me hasten to add that all of those 43 years has found us involved in Gospel Ministry. I can truly declare these words without hesitation or embarrassment; "God has been good and God is still good." These words are written as words of appreciation and thankfulness for the role that God has played in our lives throughout the years of our journey.

Today's scripture passage spoke to my heart as I read it this morning. I thought that this Word from God summed up a desire that each of us should have in our lives. I have been reading some birthday wishes as well as reading some happy anniversary wishes this morning. Many of them have come from immediate family, extended family and members of the family of God. I had to ask myself this question; "Have I "talked" enough about the presence of God and His desire to operate in each of our lives?"

Those who know me would probably say that I have said many words in my lifetime and I must admit that I would agree with them. I have conversed with many people through the years and our conversation has covered a variety of   subjects. BUT, have I said enough about the main subject of my life? Have I said enough about Christ? Have I said enough about His love, mercy and grace? Have I been faithful in pointing people to Jesus Christ and the opportunity of having a relationship with Him?

These special occasions that have taken place have reminded me of what is truly important in my life. The true importance of my life should not be measured in the length of my marriage or the number of years that I have lived on planet Earth. The true purpose of my life will be measured in the type of influence that I have demonstrated on a daily basis. The true purpose of my life will be measured in the depth of my relationship with Christ and my desire to share Christ with those people that God places in my path. I sincerely desire to take advantage of those opportunities in which God allows me to participate in conversation either verbally or through serving as an example. 

I do not want my life to be lived in vain or lived for only selfish reasons!!



No comments:

Post a Comment