Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Spiritual Direction

I would like to share a portion of the message that I shared this past Sunday at New River. I fully believe that each of us need to carefully examine the direction of our spiritual life. There are many distractions in our world which seek to move us off of the right course but we have the Word of God to which we can turn for truth and clarity for our lives. 

Psalm 119:129-136: Your testimonies (statutes) are wonderful; Therefore my soul keeps them.  130 The entrance of Your words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple.  131 I opened my mouth and panted, For I longed for Your commandments. 132 Look upon me and be merciful to me,
As Your custom is toward those who love Your name.  133 Direct (order, guide) my steps by Your word, And let no iniquity have dominion over me.  134 Redeem (ransom) me from the oppression of man, That I may keep Your precepts.  135 Make Your face shine upon Your servant, And teach me Your statutes.  136 Rivers of water run down from my eyes, Because men do not keep Your law.” (NKJV)

J. Stowell In the book Fan the Flame shares the following inspiration about the word “heart” that we so often read in the Bible.    "Heart is used in Scripture as the most comprehensive term for the authentic person.   It is the part of our being where we desire, deliberate, and decide.   It has been described as ‘the place of conscious and decisive spiritual activity,’ ‘the comprehensive term for a person as a whole; his feelings, desires, passions, thought, understanding and will,’ and ‘the center of a person.   It is the place to which God turns to and begins His work in our lives.’" (Fan the Flame, J. Stowell, Moody, 1986, p.13   

It is no wonder that the enemy of our soul desires to control our heart, the seat of our emotions.   He can control my life if he can control my heart.   That is one of the reasons that we must discover the right or correct directions as we travel the road of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment