Thursday, October 15, 2015

Do You Believe It?

"WHAT God did makes sense. It makes sense that Jesus would be our sacrifice because a sacrifice was needed to justify man's presence before God. ... However, WHY God did it is absolutely absurd. When one leaves the method and examines the motive, the carefully stacked blocks of logic begin to tumble. That type of love isn't logical; it can't be neatly outlined in a sermon or explained in a term paper. ... It IS inexplicable. It doesn't have a drop of logic nor a thread of rationality. And yet, it is that very irrationality that gives the gospel its greatest defense. For only God could love like that." (Max Lucado)

The message of the Gospel provides us the opportunity to believe that God loves us so much that He willfully chooses to forgive us of our sins. Or we can choose to reject this message due to the fact that we can not discern a logical answer to the question of "WHY would He do that for me?" The words of Max Lucado stirred my heart this morning. I have been preaching the message of the Gospel since 1971 and I still struggle with the "WHY." I know the story of Christ that we find in the pages of the Bible but I soon remember the distance that I once had between myself and God and I wonder "Why would He love me?" But then I soon realize that the same Bible declares that "God is love" and I soon begin to realize that it is His love for me that opens the door of salvation for me as well as for my fellow human beings. 

Have you ever struggled with the question; "Why would God love me?" Do you know of someone today who is struggling with that same question? That question is only answered as we move from a logical approach to the situation and move into a faith approach. Faith causes us to accept the fact that Christ died on the cross for every human being that has lived, will live or is presently living in this world. Logic will never be able to put its hands around this display of love. But faith operating in the strength of humility will bring us to Christ with a heart of genuine repentance. It is at this moment that we are able to receive the fullness of the love of God into our lives and it is at this moment that we are adopted in the family of God with the spiritual designation of either son or daughter. 

Oh, what a glorious revelation that the love of God brings into our lives. Take a moment and rejoice in the fact that God loves you!! Take a moment and reflect on the moment that you asked Christ to forgive you!! Take a moment and recommit your life to Christ and offer yourself to Him as a willing servant that will live out your life through the power of Grace!!

No comments:

Post a Comment