Thursday, August 18, 2011

Prayer

Many books, articles, and sermons have been shared with Christians throughout all generations concerning the need for prayer.  We have called for Prayer Meetings, Prayer Conferences, Days of Prayer, and even asked believers to commit a certain time of day for prayer.  Each of these have been well intentioned and certainly inspired of the Lord but have they accomplished their purpose?  Have we tried to shame people into prayer?  Have we tried to implement prayer through programs or even through the action of intimidation through embarrassment?  I am not stating these thoughts because I think that prayer has been over-emphasised; as a matter of fact we have preached prayer more and in some cases practiced prayer less.  We may need to take another approach to prayer as we see the need to "rally" the people of God to seeking after the heart of God.

I believe that the Holy Spirit has spoken to my heart over the past few days concerning prayer.  I need to change my view of prayer as well as my approach to prayer.  I don't think that God intended for prayer to be a principle that I "had" to participate in rather prayer is a principle in which I "want" to participate.  Can you imagine the freedom that would envelop believers if we transitioned from "having to pray" to the position of "wanting" to pray?  What if prayer became a time that we entered into an action of fellowship with our Heavenly Father and that we actually looked forward to this time of fellowship and interaction?  I do not desire to over-simplify the action of prayer but I do hope to encourage each of you to examine your view of prayer.  Our Heavenly Father is not going to pull us into a time of prayer as we would take a child kicking and screaming into a room for a time of conversation.  God who loves and cares for His children looks forward to those moments of interaction and conversation with us.  We should be comfortable in responding in that same manner to God.  Let us begin to look at prayer as a time that we can spend in true repose and reflection in the presence of our Father who loves us more than we can fathom.  I believe that we could see a mighty awakening concerning prayer if we would only change our view of our time with God.  Feel free to share your thoughts and comments with me concerning your time of prayer!


No comments:

Post a Comment