Monday, October 17, 2011

Weekend Review

It is always a great privilege and honor to share the Word of God with a group of people who are desiring to grow in their relationship with Christ.  I was able to sense that this weekend as I shared what I felt the Lord had placed on my heart.  The previous statement in and of itself is such a daily challenge to me.  Do I truly place the "heart of God" above my own agenda and plans?  It is easy to develop an attitude of "I know what the people need to hear" but as a spiritual leader I must have an attitude of hearing from God.  That same attitude/desire needs to permeate the heart of each and every sincere believer.  It is easy to go to church and just "listen" but do I go to church and "pay attention?"  I used to hear my parents say, "Michael, are you paying attention?"  Is it possible that our Heavenly Father often says, "Are you paying attention to what I am saying?"  It is possible to go to church and give a nod of our head or a hearty "Amen" to what is being said and never fully comprehend the heart of the message that is being released in the service?  I desire to move beyond the proverbial nod of the head to Christ.  It is easier to bow our head than bow our heart to God and His Word for our lives.  I desire to have a heart that sincerely longs to listen closely to the directions, encouragement, discipline, caution, etc. that the Spirit is sharing.  The previously mentioned attitude will certainly propel us out of the status quo into a more passionate desire to follow after God in obedience and surrender.  The moderator in yesterday's service reminded us that we are called to be a follower of Christ and not just a fan of Christ.  Followers develop listening ears and obedient hearts as they respond to the heart of God that is full of compassion and love.  Lamentations 3: 22-23, "Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.  They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness."  (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment