Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Personal Blessing

Ann and I were blessed with the privilege of hosting a visit from my parents this past weekend.  My parents live in Alabama and they do not travel out of state very much.  But we were able to convince them to allow me to come and pick them up and serve as their chauffeur over the weekend.  Sunday was an unique day in which we celebrated my Dad's 86th birthday.  My parents have been married over 60 years and my Dad was involved in ministry prior to their marriage.  I grew up in a Pastor's home of which I have no regrets.  My siblings and myself were blessed to see the model of Christian service lived out in front of us on a daily basis.  Our parents modeled a life of caring for people regardless of their financial position or spiritual position in life.  I am truly thankful that I was destined to be their oldest child and I owe much of my development as a man to the influence that each of my parents had and still have on my life.

Sunday was unique in another way.  I asked my Dad to serve as my co-speaker during the Sunday morning service.  He opened the sermon presentation with a powerful exhortation on understanding that God has promised victory through Jesus Christ.  He spent several minutes giving personal examples as well as Biblical examples that would support his understanding of this Biblical principle.  I sat amazed as I saw the anointing of the Spirit come upon His life and for a few moments I relived those moments as a child when I would sit weekly under the influence of His preaching.  The Word of God flowed through His thought process as a "well of Living Water."  These thoughts are not meant to exalt my Dad but they are intended to remind each of us that God can work in our lives regardless of our age or regardless of our circumstances.  I witnessed my Dad share the Word of God from recollection and inspiration.  I witnessed the Spirit of God use him to share encouragement and hope with those individuals who sat in that worship service on this past Sunday morning.  I witnessed the Spirit encourage people to step out by faith and respond to the call from God.  By the way, he did save some time for me to share my heart with the local body of believers.  We concluded with an invitation in which him and I were able to pray with people who came forward for prayer.

I will always cherish the opportunity of ministering along side of my Dad this past Sunday.  I appreciate the local fellowship at New River Worship Center for allowing me this opportunity and I trust that each one of them were blessed through the presence and activity of the Spirit.  Take a moment today and appreciate those individuals who have made a significant impact on your life and a significant difference in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment