Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Am I a Follower of Jesus Christ?

Luke 9:23, " Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. (NLT)

The concept of being a "follower" of Jesus Christ continues to resonate in my heart as I read the Word of God and listen to the voice of God. The word "follower" sounds very enticing and it certainly is a descriptive term that I desire to be associated with my life in Christ. But there is an "elephant" in the room that I must deal with before that term can be applied to my life. I must decide, "Am I willing to pay the price to become a disciple (follower) of Christ?"

I am aware that some may react very strongly to the term "pay the price." I am not making reference to my salvation. The price for my salvation was paid in full on the cross through the sacrificial death of Christ. But it does appear that the words that Christ shares in the writings of Luke remind us that there is an "investment" required on our part. 

Let's review them for a moment; 1) Turn from my selfish ways (ouch!!), 2) Take up my cross daily (really?) and 3) Follow Christ (does that mean real close or can I do that a distance?). Don't you think those steps of discipleship would require some form of investment on our part as "followers." Let's be honest, following Christ can be challenging at times to say the least. Ask some of our brothers and sisters in various parts of the world who are enduring severe trials, severe persecution and in some cases death because they are "followers" of Jesus. Doesn't that speak of an "investment" on their part.

Is it possible that we have become spoiled in America when it comes to our following of Christ? We have made our journey with Christ important only if it is convenient. We have made our journey with Christ important only if it includes a blessing for me. We have made our journey with Christ important only if it does not require too much interference with what I want to do and how I want to live. 

I wonder if any of these questions went through the minds of the early Apostles when Jesus said to them; "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men."

No comments:

Post a Comment