Monday, April 13, 2015

Walking with Jesus

Luke 9:23, "And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me." (KJV)

I was given an unique opportunity to serve this past weekend. Our local church participated in an Youth Outreach effort sponsored through the efforts of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) at the local high school in Radcliff. New River initially began this outreach effort in a local park a few years ago as an effort to remind people of the need to reach this younger generation with the message of the Gospel. Our Youth Minister at that time had a vision to make sure that this effort was a "Kingdom effort" and not just a New River effort. Her desire has become a reality as we have witnessed several different churches of various denominations as well as teachers, coaches and even students of the High School take hold of the vision and of the call to reach our community with the Gospel. 

This event was moved inside to the school gymnasium and had to be re-scheduled due to a late winter snow storm that hit our area. This rescheduling caused us to face some challenges and conflicts of schedules that would not have existed if we had been able to maintain our previous date. BUT IT WAS STILL AMAZING TO WATCH THIS GROUP OF YOUNG PEOPLE WORSHIP GOD WITH PASSION, PURPOSE AND COMMITMENT. I talked with some who had just left their track meet at the school and came to the time of worship. Now, I call that a desire to be a part of something spiritual. I had the awesome privilege to be able to serve as part of the support staff. I served pizza and soft drinks to those who were in attendance. I was able to have some brief conversations with some of the youth before the event began. I was both impressed by the manners, thoughtfulness and thankfulness that was exhibited by those who were receiving the food from our congregation. Yes, I know that our world is facing its challenges but I also know that God has FOLLOWERS ACROSS ALL AGE GROUPS AND ALL PARTS OF SOCIETY who have a desire to please and serve Him. 

I am glad that I chose to pick up my cross and follow Christ to the school gymnasium on Saturday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment