Thursday, June 22, 2017

Thursday's Challenge

Matthew 22:36-38, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?” 37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.” 38 This is the first and great commandment. (NKJV)
Most of us understand the ideas behind the use of the word challenge. I went to michaelwillingham.com to ascertain the meaning of the word "challenge." It means to me that I am facing a situation that appears "difficult, possibly overwhelming, I have never attempted this required action at a prior time, or I do not think that I have the abilities or resources to fully accomplish the goal or decision that I am facing." I am sure that each of you could add your own definition and even add examples from your life that would further enhance your definition of the word. 

Jesus certainly spoke words of grace, peace, encouragement, healing, etc during His mission of life on planet Earth. But aren't we safe in saying that Jesus also spoke words of challenge that would require a commitment to follow, trust and obey His commands? I believe the scripture passage for the day expresses one of those challenges that Jesus offered.

Our Adult Bible Study group has been studying the video series by Kyle Idleman entitled Not a Fan. This series has taken us on a journey of a man that said He loved God to a man that loved God. Let us be honest with each other; Isn't it easier to say that we love God rather than actually loving God?" Words are cheap but actions can be costly. 

I have been around "church" all of my life. I have learned the songs, I have learned the verbage or language of Christians and I have gathered much information about God. But the real issue revolves around my ability to answer the question, "Do I truly love God", with more than just a resounding YES. My daily life and my daily actions are speaking LOUDER than my words. I must be careful and not allow my words to be so "loud" that I think that they can hide my actions. 

I must choose to love God with every part of my life and not just the part that has somewhat an understanding of the "church thing." I can not afford to grow comfortable with just knowing about God; I must know God if I am going to be identified as a son of God. 

Do we (I) love God do we (I) just love knowing about God?

No comments:

Post a Comment