Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Don't Forget

I have found myself very determined to remember and reconnect with the true message of Christmas. That desire seems to be a re-occurring theme across the spectrum of Christianity. I have been reading thoughts from various sources over the past few weeks and I discern the fact that God is calling us back to the "Truth of Christmas." I understand that there is a "cultural understanding" and demonstration of the Christmas story but I am more concerned with the "Biblical understanding" regarding the birth of the Savior of the World.  

My concern goes deeper than just saying the words "Merry Christmas" rather than "Happy Holidays." Those words may be a symptom of the problem but I believe that we face a far deeper "illness" that is at work in our world. I believe that the Deity of Christ is under attack. I also believe that the modern day believer must make sure that his/her faith is built upon the solid foundation of the Word of God. But this foundation has to be more than just a book in our library or an app on our phone or tablet. The Word of God must have a definitive place in our heart and it must be proactively put into action in our lives. Those two actions lead us into a relationship with God that continually transforms/changes us from glory to glory. I just desire to know Him even more and I desire for the Word and the Spirit to perform its work in my life.

Earlier today I read some words that spoke to my heart. I would like to share them with you today, Be blessed and encouraged as the Word of God speaks to your heart throughout this day!!

Underneath the frivolity and fun of this Christmas season, there's something truly magnanimous. Feel free to revel in the generosity and sense of family that arises at this time, but please don't wander too far from the awe of the incarnation. It's not always easy to comprehend, but over 2000 years ago an unblemished, holy God stepped down from the lofty realms of heaven and made His dwelling place among men and women. Jesus is, in every way, the Word incarnate (John 1:14). Our long-standing biblically rooted faith is built upon the fact that the Son of God invaded human history and brought salvation into the lower reaches of the earth. 


"Because God’s children are human beings—made of flesh and blood—the Son also became flesh and blood. ...It was necessary for him to be made in every respect like us, his brothers and sisters, so that ... He could offer a sacrifice that would take away the sins of the people" (Hebrews 1:14a, 17).



If Jesus never became flesh and blood, then humanity would be eternally encased in a frigid, inescapable darkness. Yet, by His willingness to humble Himself and take on human form, the transformation of the world has already begun. Although many luminous things capture our imaginations at Christmas, we must never forget the inexplicable wonder of the incarnation. For, in it, we find the basis of all our hopes and dreams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment