Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Paying Attention

Matthew 11:15, He who has ears to hear, let him hear!(NJKV)

The words of this scripture often resonate in my heart during prayer time as well as those times in which I am reading the Word of God. I can remember my parents telling me that I was not paying attention. I can remember telling our children that they were not paying attention. Now, I am telling our grandchildren that they are not paying attention. I wonder how often that God has thought the very same thing about me and my relationship with Him. Am I truly paying attention to God?

Am I truly committed to paying attention to God at all times or have I developed the strategy of "selective hearing." Selective hearing affords me the opportunity to pick and choose those words that are more pleasing or acceptable to me. I remember that I enjoyed my parents saying yes a lot more than I enjoyed them saying no especially if  the decision concerned something that I really desired to do. I must confess that I truly want to listen to God in every situation but there are some situations that challenge me to listen closely to what God is saying, I am a work in progress when it comes to listening to what God is saying.

I recently read these words that certainly challenged me to pay closer attention to those principles/teachings/directives that God will place in our lives if we truly pay attention to Him and His Word.

"Jesus taught compellingly about the importance of truly paying attention and listening to the life lessons found in His teachings. Because He illustrated truth with everyday examples, clearer comprehension was available, but the deepest understanding only came to those who were intellectually, spiritually, physically and emotionally engaged in hearing what Christ had to say. For believers, being present in the presence of Jesus is not passive prayer, but proactive listening. The heart hears best when it’s been cleansed by the Spirit and eagerly communes with Christ."

Let us re-commit ourselves to listening to Christ as we move forward in this celebration of the birth of Christ. Christ came to transform humanity and not just improve humanity. Is it possible that I have settled for improvement and failed to realize that Christ desires to lead me into transformation? 

No comments:

Post a Comment