Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Preparing for Lent

The celebration of lent begins tomorrow on February 14th and continues to March 29th. This is a 40 day period in which Christians are encouraged to spend time reflecting on Christ and His gift of Salvation. I must confess that I did not pay too much attention to Lent as a young Pastor. I felt that this celebration was for various other denominations whose structure was entirely different from the one that I recognized. Let me add, that I have repented of making that mistake and for overlooking the spiritual insight that could arise from such a time of reflection and meditation. 

Now, I understand the importance of reflection, mediation, the personal reading of the Bible as well as prayer. It is during those moments that I just referenced that we end up in a time of personal introspection. This introspection (looking inwardly rather that outwardly) positions us to receive personal teaching and guidance from God. Is it possible that we have replaced those personal encounters with God with attendance at the corporate celebrations (local community of believers)? I believe that the local body of believers is definitely the plan of God and each of us needs a local community of believers to call our "spiritual home." BUT A LOCAL CHURCH FAMILY CELEBRATION WAS NEVER MEANT TO TAKE THE PLACE OF OUR PERSONAL TIME WITH GOD!!

I would like to take this opportunity and encourage you to consider spending time ALONE WITH GOD in meditation, study and prayer. I believe that these moments with God will be life changing and transformational for each of us. I also believe that these moments alone with God have the possibility of releasing "a fire of revival" in our local church communities. I believe that each of us can agree that we need a "spirit of revival" to spread throughout local churches across America as well as around the world. But we need more than just a few nights of meetings. We need a "revival" that will continue to have a lasting impact on our lives!!  I am praying for that desire that I have in my heart to become a reality.

I would like to leave you with a familiar passage of scripture found in Proverbs 3:5-6. I would like to encourage you to read this today from the The Message. The Message is a transliteration written by Eugene Peterson.

Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He’s the one who will keep you on track. Don’t assume that you know it all. Run to God!” (The Message)

AMEN!! BLESSINGS ON YOUR JOURNEY WITH CHRIST!!

No comments:

Post a Comment