Thursday, December 9, 2010

How Do I Lead?

Being a leader can take on many shapes and forms.  Leadership can be defined and described in many terms and many accomplishments.  But in the simplest of terms leadership is simply the opportunity to influence some individual or a group of individuals in the right direction.  Is my leadership confined to the sermons that I deliver or the leadership meetings that I conduct?  Is my leadership confined to a list of orders or requests that I may speak?  Is my leadership confined to the Pastoral activities or responsibilities that I conduct on a daily basis?  I truly hope that the answer to these questions on a personal basis is a resounding NO!  I trust that my leadership has moved beyond the point of simply relying on my position or my authority.  You are already facing an uphill battle if your leadership is confined to your position or your title or the fulfillment of your responsibilities.  Surely each of us desire that our lives be lived in such a manner that that we reflect the lifestyle of a servant which will lead people to identify the work of Christ in our life.

According to Albert Schweitzer, "Example is not the main thing in influencing others...it is the only thing."  Our lives need to model the course of action or response that we are trying to develop or initiate in our home or even in our church.  People will emulate what they see being modeled in our lives.  Leadership gives us the opportunity to live a life that is an example to those that we are influencing.  It is important to realize that our actions do speak louder than our words.  We are able to set the direction of people around us if we are willing to lead the way through the effort of being an example.  You are able to influence people through example.  You can make a difference in the thought processes of people through example.  You can change the actions and reactions of people through example.  Many good works can be accomplished in our lives as well as the lives of others as we commit ourselves to living by example as well as by precepts.  People are looking for good examples and you are able to fill that void in their lives through dedicated service to the cause of Christ.  Make a decision today that you will rise to the occasion and become a person of influence.  You will change and you will see a change among others that you are influencing!

No comments:

Post a Comment