Thursday, March 3, 2011

Service

The past several days have found my schedule full of opportunities to serve Christ and the family of God.  Several of these opportunities have involved visiting with people that are facing health issues as well as other challenges of life.  These moments of opportunity allow me to reflect on my individual purpose as a Minister of the Gospel but it also allows me to reflect and reconnect with the purpose of the Ministry of Christ.  Does my service to my fellow man emulate the heart of service that was in Christ?  Does my service point people to Christ or am I simply fulfilling some duty that will gain the appreciation and affirmation of man?  Does my service seek to win the praises of man or do I seek to please the Father in all that I am doing as a servant of God?  Each of us need to take inventory of our motives and actions and make sure that we are seeking to walk after those things that bring honor and glory to Christ.  I truly believe that each of us possess the desire to have the proper motivation but it is also easy for the carnal man to rise to the forefront and try to push the spiritual man to the background.  A heart that is properly surrendered to Christ can defeat those carnal, fleshly attitudes that try to take advantage of our weaknesses.

A statement in Discipleship class last night brought this thought into a more clear perspective. Think about this statement for a moment; "Do I live my life for the sake of others?"  I understand that all of us have individual responsibilities to our family as well as to our employers.  The Bible teaches us to take care of our families and it also teaches us to be faithful and productive employees.  But the Bible also teaches us the example of Christ.  He came to this world for others.  He died on the cross for others.  He called His church to share the Gospel with others.  He demonstrated His love for others.  We need to examine our lives and make sure that we are not living selfishly.  Are we looking for opportunities to assist and serve others?  Are we looking for opportunities to serve in the ministry efforts of the local church that we attend?  Are we looking for opportunities to contribute our gifts and talents to the Kingdom of God or do we use those same gifts and abilities for things that bring pleasure and comfort to us?  Let us open our eyes and realize that opportunities present themselves every day to us.  

Each of us need to be willing to deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow after Christ with a sincere heart of service and love for humanity!  People are looking for a true manifestation of the love of God and God is ready to use each of us to reveal Himself to this hurting world.  Take the towel of service out of your closet and use it for the Glory of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment