Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Seeking God

Yesterday I was privileged to spend some time with a believer in an in-depth conversation.  This young man is on a spiritual journey in which I believe is leading him into a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ.  Realistically that should be the focus of each us with regards to our walk with Christ.  What is the true desire of our hearts?  What is the sincere longing that burns in our hearts today?  Whom do we desire to please and what is the true motivating factor of our life as a Christian?  Each of these questions and many more deserve an answer as we continue our walk with Christ.  I have made this statement often as I have ministered the Word of God over the past several years; "I desire my relationship with God to be more than a religious performance or a learned religious activity."  God has called each one of us to a relationship that is far deeper than any of the above mentioned actions that we may put into practice in our daily lives.

Jeremiah 29:12-13, "Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.  And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart." (NJKV)  This passage is full of hope and promise to those people who will sincerely approach their walk with God.  God is inviting us to pray and He promises to listen to our prayers.  He invites us to seek Him and He will be found by those seekers.  We will find Him as we search for Him with all of our heart.  Do you notice the responsibility that we have in this matter?  Do you realize that God will respond to those who have a deep rooted passion and purpose in their walk with God?  I noticed this type of hunger in the young man that I spoke with on Tuesday.  He also told me that he was personally aware of other believers who are experiencing the same feelings that he was expressing.  These were the words that he spoke to me; "I know there has to be more of God that I can experience."  My response in an emphatic, YES, God dsires to reveal Himself to believers!  He is not hiding from us but I do believe that He examines our passion when He challenges us to seek after Him.  My heart was enriched as I drove away from our time of interaction and conversation.  Once more God reminded me that He is definitely at work in the lives of individual believers who are looking for the fullness of the presence of God.  I asked God to keep that passion alive in my heart.  I want to be more than a "spiritual performer" when it comes to the things of God.  Christ was against hypocritical living as He walked the face of this earth and He is still against hypocritical living in 2011.  God is giving us the opportunity to follow after Him and I am preparing my heart to fulfill that opportunity to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment