Friday, May 2, 2014

Follow Up to National Day of Prayer

I Timothy 2:1, "Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men," (NKJ)

I trust that each of you took the time for a dedicated time of Prayer yesterday. I do not feel this way because it is a "designated day" to pray rather I feel this way because it is the right thing to do. The word "exhort" could be translated to mean "encourage." The Spirit through the writings of Paul was encouraging you and I to offer supplications, prayers, intercessions and giving of thanks to "be made for all men." This is an understatement to make but that passage is a challenging one to say the least. 

I asked myself some of these questions as I was praying last night? Does the passage in 1 Timothy 2 mean that I am to pray for my enemies as well as my friends? Does the passage mean that I am to pray for those people that I do not like as well as those people that I do like? Does the passage mean than I am to pray for those people who disappoint me as well as those people who encourage me? Does the passage mean that I am to pray for those people whom I disapprove of as well as those people who have garnered my seal of approval? Does the passage mean that I am to pray for God to bless your family as much as I ask God to bless my family?

I understand that this group of questions could be one of an unending list that any of us could put together. But I will admit that the words "all men" challenged my heart yesterday during prayer. I believe that the church must become a body of people that pray one for another. We must remove any prejudice, discrimination, unforgivness, bigotry, ill-will, criticism, judgementalism, etc. from our hearts. We (I) must pray from a heart that is full of love, care, concern, mercy, and compassion for my fellow man. 

I am still convinced that God will hear the sincere prayers of His family.

No comments:

Post a Comment