Friday, May 23, 2014

Tenacity?

I have taken a few days away from writing on the blog so that I could "refresh" my thought process. I have been able to spend some extra time in prayer, meditation and reflection over this past week. I have found that those spiritual disciplines allow me to move away from what "I think" and quicken my desire to see what "God is saying to me." I will confess that I am one of those Christians who believe that God still speaks to His children through prayer and through the reading of His Word. I truly believe that many modern day believers are missing out on those opportunities to spend time with God because they believe that their life is too busy. But I am always amazed by that "theology" (forgive my use of that word) because each of us always find time to do what we want to do. I encourage you to meditate on the previous statement and ask God about the possibility that we possess some culpability in that area of our lives.

Earlier this morning I was preparing a eulogy for precious lady that I will deliver tomorrow. I was given the privilege of serving this lady and her family as Pastor a few years ago. The Spirit reminded me of a passage of scripture during the process of that preparation and I would like to share it with you today. 

Ecclesiastes 9:12-12, Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.  11 I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all.  12 Moreover, no one knows when their hour will come: As fish are caught in a cruel net, or birds are taken in a snare, so people are trapped by evil times that fall unexpectedly upon them.” (NIV)

I had to ask myself some questions as I read that passage. "Am I truly tenacious and sincere in my approach to my relationship with God? Do I truly realize that my life on earth is brief regardless of the age I reach before I pass away? Do I cherish the opportunity of applying myself to fulfilling the will of God in my personal life?

No comments:

Post a Comment