Monday, July 21, 2014

What Voice Do You Follow?

John 10:1-5, “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.” (NKJV)

This verse came into my spirit as I was praying this morning. This question came into my mind and I wanted to share it for your consideration. "Am I willing to follow the voice of the Shepherd regardless of where He leads me?" At first glance it appears that it would be easy to answer a resounding "YES" to this proposal. Surely I can trust the Chief Shepherd of my soul to lead me in the safe and correct direction. Unequivocally that statement would be true; I can trust the Shepherd to lead me in the right direction.

But what if my journey takes me down paths that I rather not travel? What if the path is one that brings heartache, trouble, trials, difficulties, illness, etc? But as I pondered those thoughts in my heart I was reminded that I had traveled some of those paths with the Shepherd. The journey on those paths had caused me to listen for the gentle voice of the Shepherd even more. I would listen with my "spiritual ears" for the voice of Jesus and be able to fully realize that He knew the way out of this particular predicament. I had learned to trust in the Good Shepherd and I realized that He had my best interests at heart regardless of the path that we were traveling. These situations in life had led me to appreciate the voice of the Shepherd even more because He had reminded me that I was never ALONE no matter the path that we were traveling. I was never out of His sight and I was never out of His care.

It is no wonder that we can celebrate the words of the song writer who declared "Oh, what a Savior..." I am thankful that I can trust in the voice of the Shepherd!

No comments:

Post a Comment