Thursday, May 12, 2016

Returning From My Absence

It has been several weeks since I have made any posts to the blog. As I began to to write, I wondered if my "absence has made your heart grow fonder." I am not asking for replies or comments for sure: just a small attempt at some humor. 

My initial absence began with the illness of my Dad and his subsequent passing into His eternal reward. Ann and I were blessed to be able to spend the last few days of Dad's life with my Mom, siblings, other family members as well as friends who came to the hospital to visit. I believe we did things that Dad approved of and he even participated in them when his body allowed him during the final few days of his life. We sang together, we prayed together, we reminisced together, we laughed together and we certainly cried together. We rejoiced in the fact that Dad's earthly race was about to finish but he had ran his race with faith, courage, obedience and a desire to help others. I now realize one of the reasons that I may have avoided writing on the blog as I am typing these words. I sense the emotions that I felt as I stood in his hospital room and said good-bye to him over the period of a few days. I was both proud and thankful to be his son that day and I am still thankful that I am his son today. My Dad left a wonderful legacy of loving his family and loving those people that he served through the years. I am very much determined to pick up the mantle and carry this legacy as far as my life will allow me to carry it. 

I stepped away from writing this post so that I could pray about my life's desire to see people come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ as their Savior. My Dad lived almost one week past his 90th birthday, He passed away clutching a Gideon's New Testament in his hand. I have no idea how many of these he had given away through the years of his journey on Earth, I did not mean to make this post just about him but more about the fire that burned in his heart to see hurting people receive the help that they needed. I desire for my heart to be consumed with that same fire, that same passion and that same commitment to the cause of Jesus Christ. Oh God, awaken your church once more in this day and time. We live in a world of hurting, broken and overwhelmed people. BUT the Bible still possesses the message of salvation, deliverance and healing!!

Dear Lord, send the fire of God upon our lives as we approach Pentecost Sunday!! AMEN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment