Friday, March 24, 2017

Personal Reflections

Romans 6:1-3, Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother, which is the first commandment with promise: “that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.” (NKJV) (Emphasis Added)

Tomorrow (March 25th) would have been my Dad's 91st birthday. He passed away almost one year ago (March 31st). He lived almost one week after we gathered as a family to celebrate his 90th birthday. It seemed to me that he had a goal to reach 90. I did not fully understand his rationale about 90 but at his age I felt that he had earned the right to set his own goals and that he did not owe me an explanation. I am sharing this information as a backdrop to the post that I am about to share. 

I understand that Father's Day is almost three (3) months away and I also understand that to many people March 25th will be just another day on the calendar but I had no idea that March 25, 1926 would play such a significant day in my life, in my immediate family's life, in the lives of my family as well as the family of God. I am fairly certain that Mamaw and Papaw Willingham never fully realized that their son would develop into such a multifaceted individual. One of the meanings of the word "multifaceted" is a "gem." (Dictionary.com)

I felt inspired to obey the words that the Apostle Paul spoke to the church at Ephesus. This post is meant as a means to honor the "gem" of a man named Wallace Willingham. He was a son, sibling, faithful husband for almost 65 years, father of 6 children, grandfather, great-grandfather, adopted spiritual father to many individuals, employee as well as an employer in a small business. I must also add that he was a Gospel Preacher for 67 plus years with many of those years spent as a Pastor. I can not write these words without giving honor to my Mother who faithfully traveled the road of life with him until the final mile of his journey. Our life has been blessed with true examples of a husband and wife caring for and loving one another through the challenging days of the circumstances of daily life. I need to add one more note about Dad, he was Veteran of WWII. He served in the 87th Infantry Division of Patton's 3rd Army. He won several medals as well as citations at some of the Major Battles in the European Theater. 

I could write many words about Dad but I will try and focus on those things that the Spirit has spoken into my heart. I want to follow the command of the Ten Commandments. I want to honor my Day. I never say a prayer that I do not reflect on the prayer life of Dad. Him and Mom were and Mom still is the intercessor for our needs as well as the needs of many others. I have been with Dad when I have heard him call out the name of his family as he sought God on their behalf. I am determined to pick up the mantle of prayer for our family. I made this commitment to Dad during a conversation a few weeks before he passed on to his eternal reward.

Dad taught me (I also believe this is true for my family, my siblings and their families as well.) to love people. Dad taught me not to judge people. Dad taught me to respect people regardless of race, nationality or gender. Dad taught me to listen to my elders. Dad taught me to respect, appreciate and honor those spiritual leaders that God has placed in my life. Dad taught me to love my wife. Dad taught me to love my children. Dad taught me the importance of discipline. Dad taught me a strong work ethic that I practice to this day in my role as a Pastor. Dad taught we to work hard and to be honest in my financial decisions. Dad taught me to give and tithe. Dad taught me to share with others. Dad taught me to care about others and to be ready to share my love as well as the love of God with them. Dad taught me to preach the Gospel with passion, fervency, compassion, concern and faithfulness. These are just a few of the character traits that Dad deposited in the 63 years that he was in my life. Let me hasten to add that those traits and many others rise up in my heart and life on a daily basis as I continue to move forward on my personal road of life. 

Dad I honor you today and I look forward to the day and time in which we will be reunited together in Heaven. It will be at time that I will fully appreciate being placed in your care for those 63 years of my life and at that time I will fully understand the difference that Christ in you and through you has made in my life. 

Dad, I close this post with one of your favorite sentences. "Son, we will live to fight another day." Dad, I will do my best to fight every day against the powers of darkness so that the Kingdom of God can be shared with those people that I contact on a daily basis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment