Friday, March 23, 2018

Friday's Encouragement

I believe that many people are very much aware of the challenging times in which we are living. We can see the onslaught of fear, distrust, worry, frustration, concern, and even doubt written upon the faces of our family and friends. Where will we chose to turn in this day and time? We must choose to turn to God and rely upon the promises that His Word declares. Paul made this declaration, “I know in whom I believe…” It is necessary that we take the time to truly “get to know” God so that our faith can grow stronger even in the midst of our adversities.
I read an interesting story today concerning a man named Edwin Mote. He was a Pastor/Song Writer. Jim Denison shares this story.
Mote grew up in London, where his parents managed a pub and he played in the streets on Sundays. Nevertheless, he came to faith in Christ, then worked as a cabinetmaker for thirty-seven years. At the age of fifty-five, he became a pastor.
He served his congregation for twenty-six years. In gratitude, the people offered him their building as a gift. He replied, "I do not want the chapel, I want only the pulpit; and when I cease to preach Christ, then turn me out of that."
Mote is best known today not for his preaching but for his hymn writing. Approximately one hundred of his hymns have been published. My favorite includes these lines:
When darkness seems to hide his face,
I rest on his unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the vale.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.
Where do you need courage to serve Jesus in our "high and stormy" culture? Ralph Waldo Emerson was right: "A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
Hang in there, knowing that Jesus is hanging onto you (John 10:29).

No comments:

Post a Comment