Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Representatives of Christ

A few days ago I read a quote from a ministerial friend of mine.  Pastor Terry Mahan of Florida shared these words and thoughts that challenged my heart.  Pastor Terry: "God never said, Find a church where everyone looks like you.  We are to find a church where everyone looks like Him!"

I was in immediate agreement with these words at first glance.  I am in support of diversity within the local church body where people gather to worship God.  I long for the day when diversity is the norm and not just something that we write or speak about.  I could make a separate post regarding my feelings concerning that desire that is in my heart.  BUT the second part of his statement grabbed the attention of my spirit.  "We are to find a church where everyone looks like Him."  Those words seem to be an innocent statement at first glance because each believer should desire to represent Christ in this world.  Does not each believer desire for their local fellowship to exhibit the qualities and attributes of Christ at work in them and among them?  Does not each believer desire to see Christ glorified and each attender edified as we gather week and after week offering our praise and worship to God?  Isn't that principle to be a natural outflow of the inflow of the Spirit into our lives?  These and many other thoughts began to fill my mind as I began to digest the words of that statement.

I then began to realize that each of us must be diligent in our desire to represent Christ in everything that we do and say.  After all, we are human beings and we have the potential to become selfish and self promoting.  It is easy to fall into the trap of promoting our selves and our agenda rather than promoting Christ and His plan for mankind.  Those "selfish" attitudes can become of the root of divisions and schisms within the local fellowship of believers.  We must apply ourselves to the purposes of God so that each of us can be representatives/ambassadors of Christ in a world that is darkened through the effects of sin and rebellion against God. 

I am sure that each of us desire to represent Christ in this world so that people can not only hear the message of the Gospel but see the message of the Gospel lived out on a daily basis!

No comments:

Post a Comment