Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Father's Day

I am certain that most of you realize that this coming Sunday, June 17th is a special day of recognition and appreciation for our earthly fathers.  I have been speaking about our Heavenly Father over the past few days but this morning I want to share some thoughts concerning our need for godly earthly fathers. 

First of all, I want to preface my remarks by saying that I am thankful that I was raised under the influence of the Ten Commandments.  Yes, I am going to say it, I was raised in a home that believed in the authority of the Bible.  I was raised to understand that God would make a difference in my life if I would be willing to love Him and serve Him.  I was taught to "honor my father and mother" as well as the other senior adults in my life.  I am intelligent enough to know and understand that these individuals were not perfect and by the way they never taught me that they were perfect.  But I was taught that they loved me and that they would do their best to protect, provide, and care for my well being.  In other words there was responsibility on the part of both parents as well as children.  They would take care of their parental responsibilities and I would respond to them in love, respect, and appreciation.  I do see a missing element in our society at this point in time.  I believe the element of responsibility is missing in many of our relationships in this present culture. 

We face the challenge of people either ignoring their responsibility or simply choosing to deny their need to take responsibility for their actions.  We live in a world in which the "blame game" is used in many situations in which people choose not to take responsibility for their actions.  We choose to blame others rather than taking personal responsibility for our conduct and actions.  The men of our nation must remember that it takes more than simply the birth of a child to make a man a father.  A true father is a man who will make a  life long commitment to love, nurture, encourage, train, discipline, and fulfill a host of other responsibilities.  Being a father is not easy but it is rewarding.  I ask each father to take some time this week and review your commitment to your responsibilities to your spouse as well as your children.  Stop making excuses, step up to the plate and fulfill your role to those individuals that God has placed in your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment