Friday, June 15, 2012

Happy Father's Day

I want to take a moment and wish my Dad a Happy Father's Day.  One of the blessings that God has provided for me in my life is my Dad.  Although my Dad is in his middle 80's he is still very much a part of my life.  As a matter of fact I enjoyed a phone conversation with him last night as he called to check on some sick family members.  My Dad served as a Bi-vocational Pastor for all of the years that I lived at home.  He was and still is a man dedicated to God, to His family, his country (WW II veteran), and his servant work in the family of God.  My Dad taught me more lessons that I have time to list this morning.  But the most valuable lesson would have involved the importance of my relationship with Christ and my responsibilities to take care of my family.  I truly believe that my Dad felt that these two important areas of our lives go hand in hand with one another.  I am thankful for the love that he shared with me as well as the continued love and support that he offers.  I am thankful to have been born into his family and I just pray that God will continue to use him to minister to me and to my family.  I would be remiss if I failed to mention my father-in-law.  Although he passed away in 1995 I can still remember the love and care that he possessed for his family.  Papa dealt with some health issues as well as some other challenges in his life yet he still maintained a desire to love God and love his family. Papa made a difference in my life during the years that I have been a part of his family.  I know that he always offered his respect and encouragement to me as the man who married his first daughter.  I am thankful to have been known as his first son-in-law and I am thankful for the influence he had on my life.

I came across the following words in one of my recent devotions and I wanted to share them with you today.  We need to recognize those "good men" that God has placed in our lives.  Fathers are not perfect but many fathers desire to do their best for the families.  Offer these men a word of encouragement and thanks as we celebrate and honor them this weekend.

Faithful fathers are not a fantasy, but a reality rooted in the fear of the Lord and who care for their children. They are compelled by their heavenly Father to provide a home that nurtures, disciplines, accepts, and loves. “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord” (Ephesians 6:4). They research and discover creative ways to win over their child’s heart for Christ.

Faithful fathers are friends with Jesus. They see Him as a model of unselfish service, generous giving, radical responsibility, and the selflessness to put the needs of others before His own needs. “Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves” (Romans 12:10). Dedicated dads find strength to carry on from Christ’s affirmation and accolades. They father for the audience of their heavenly Father.

Lastly, faithful fathers lead their children to know, love, and obey their heavenly Father. This is your most vital role as a dad. Children learn from your life how to live, but they need to hear from your lips how to believe. “Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ” (Romans 10:17). Tell them the scriptural stories of salvation, sin, forgiveness, and faith. Joseph’s perseverance, Esther’s courage, Moses’ leadership, David’s repentance, and Ruth’s encouragement are examples lived by role models for them to emulate. Ask God for the wisdom and grace to be a faithful father. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post. May the Lord help us to be Fathers as these great men are/were. Blessings on you. Milton Gordon

    ReplyDelete