Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Men of Courage

This past weekend found me participating in a Retreat that was dedicated to ministering to the men of the local congregation in which I am serving as lead Pastor.  I consider myself not only a leader within this community of believers but I also consider myself a participant.  There are times that some leaders somewhat separate themselves from the daily participation of the ministry opportunities and only show up when it is time for them to be in charge.  I don't think that type of approach sets the proper example to those people that we desire to lead.  I believe that we lead by example as well as principle.  People look to us to live out or put into practice those principles that we teach to them.  This past weekend I enjoyed being a participant who supported this ministry effort rather than fulfilling a leadership position.  I found myself receiving strength from those who led the ministry time as well as those who served as presenters in this time of training and fellowship.  Each of us need to remain "teachable and trainable" if we are to continue the process of spiritual development in our walk with Christ.  The Men's Ministry Director, Jeff Gillenwater, served as an excellent leader and director of this outreach effort to the men of New River Worship Center.  I certainly appreciated his heart of concern and care for the men of this community.
 
The weekend retreat culminated in a challenge to the men of the local church.  We challenged them to make the resolution that they would love God and love their families through a Godly example of a lifestyle of Christian living based upon a commitment to Biblical principles and practices.  We were blessed with an excellent response from the men who were present for the Sunday morning Worship service.  The altar was full of men who will were willing to make a bold and courageous statement of their desire to love God and to love their families!  My heart was blessed and encouraged when I saw a significant number of the men present in the service ignore the attitudes of the culture and choose to take a stand for God and for their families.  I reminded them that they were "spiritual warriors" preparing to protect their families from the attacks of an enemy who seeks to destroy their home, their families, as well as their personal relationship with Christ.  I am praying for these men as well as the other men in this community as well as our nation.  I don't believe that God has given up on the men of this generation and that there are men who will respond in the appropriate manner to the leading and direction that will come from our Heavenly Father.  Will you join me in prayer for the men who reside in your home as well as the men in your local church and your community?

No comments:

Post a Comment