Thursday, January 17, 2013

Fruit of the Spirit

Galatians 5:22-23, "But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!" (NLT)
 
We have been studying the fruit of the Spirit on Wednesday night at New River Worship Center.  This passage is one that reminds us of the fruit that God desires to reveal through our lives.  This passage allows us to understand the process of spiritual growth that God has planned for our lives.  Our lives are meant to reveal the heart and character of God to a lost and hurting world.  Each of us are challenged to examine our lives in light of this powerful revelation of truth.  It is not always easy measuring our lives through the principles of the Bible.  I had rather choose to measure my life through my comparisons with my fellow human beings.  I learn to justify my failures and weaknesses as I look at others and rationalize that I am a better person than them and that my life more fully reflects the life and character of Christ.  How can I avoid the fallacy of that practice?  How can I avoid the trap of pride and arrogance?  How can I avoid the temptation of comparing myself with others rather than comparing myself with the Word of God?  One of the ways to avoid those afore mentioned traps is to pray through the "fruit list" from Galatians 5:22-23. The NLT Bible lists the fruit as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Ask God to help you grow this fruit in your life.  Ask God to examine your heart and your motives as you prepare to serve and follow Him.  Ask God to examine your interaction with those people that God places in your daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment