Friday, January 25, 2013

SEA, Part 3

I am very much interested in providing encouragement as as well as information concerning the need to strengthen our relationship with Christ. I truly believe a strong and developing relationship with God is not only in our best interest as a believer but it will also serve as a "silent" witness to those we associate it with on a daily basis. Our relationship with God was never meant to be a burden or duty rather it was meant to be an opportunity to strengthen our bond and communication with our Heavenly Father. Our relationship with God through Jesus Christ affords us the opportunity to spend time with our Heavenly Father through prayer, meditation, and reading His love letters (the Bible). Doesn't that sound interesting and intriguing to anyone who desires to know someone else in a deeper more intimate manner?
 
I want to address the spiritual activity of prayer. Don't stop reading just yet. Give me a moment to develop a thought that God placed in my heart this morning. The passage of Paul in 1 Thessalonians 5:17 was placed in my heart. The Word reveals this encouragement, "pray without ceasing," (NKJV). I have often used the words, "spending time in prayer." And yes, I still believe that we need to spend quality time in personal praise, prayer, and intercession. I base that belief on the teachings of the Bible. But God spoke to my heart in another manner today. Rather than focusing only on a "time of prayer"; I would be better off to focus on living in an "attitude of prayer." The development of an attitude of prayer would become a decisive action that I choose to take so that my heart would consistently be turned to God in obedience and surrender. We know that far most of us praying 24/7 would be nearly impossible. But maintaining an attitude of prayer is not impossible. I can live in a manner in which my heart is open to God for guidance, direction, correction, inspiration, service, etc. An attitude of prayer allows me to focus on the will of God rather than fulfilling my own desires, wishes and plans. Would you take this challenge with me? Let us begin today by asking God to develop within each of us an "attitude of prayer." I firmly believe that we will notice a difference in our lives as well as a difference in the lives of those that we interact with on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment