Monday, September 15, 2014

Learning to Lean

A song that I remember singing throughout my Christian journey came into my spirit as I was praying this morning. The song is entitled, Leaning on the Everlasting Arms and was written by Elisha A. Hoffman. I sang a few verses as I prayed today (I will spare you the pain of that experience). Those verses reminded me of the refuge and hope that I and countless others have found in a relationship with Jesus Christ. I want to share the words with you today. You may desire to sing them out loud as you read the words. Allow them to refresh your memory of the times in which you have "leaned" on the strength of God and you have found comfort in His presence.

  1. What a fellowship, what a joy divine,
    Leaning on the everlasting arms;
    What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,
    Leaning on the everlasting arms.
    • Refrain:
      Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
      Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.
  2. Oh, how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,
    Leaning on the everlasting arms;
    Oh, how bright the path grows from day to day,
    Leaning on the everlasting arms.
  3. What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
    Leaning on the everlasting arms?
    I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
    Leaning on the everlasting arms.

I also received three separate praise reports from people that we have been praying for as their journey has taken them through the valley of treatments for cancer. One of these ladies was in church yesterday after several months of treatments and some very low points in this process. BUT OH THE JOY OF HEARING HER VOICE LIFTED IN PRAISE DURING THE SERVICE ON SUNDAY. Her voice has been missed and it was a blessing to hear her praise return to the meeting. One of the other ladies received a negative report on a biopsy that she had performed last week. This lady has a wonderful heart of service and continued to serve others during her time of treatments. The other lady received a clear report from a PET scan. She has endured several surgeries, numerous rounds of chemo treatments as well as other forms of medicine. She was and is a person of encouragement and care for others even as she was fighting her own battles. 

Each of these ladies are "HEROES" in my book and they have talked the talk as well as walked the walk. Let me add one more praise. The lady who led our Call to Worship in Sunday's service celebrated her ten (10) year anniversary of being cancer free, she was told that she might live TWO (2) YEARS. These ladies learned and they are teaching us to "lean on the everlasting arms of God" through their lifestyle of praise and service to God!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment