Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Christmas Musings, Part 2

These past few weeks have found me in a dedicated pursuit of reconnecting with the true meaning of Christmas. I do not seek to cast any aspersions on our celebration of Christmas and neither do I desire to place guilt or condemnation on anyone today. BUT I DO THINK THAT IT IS IMPORTANT FOR EACH OF US TO REIDENTIFY AND RECONNECT WITH THE TRUE REASON BEHIND THE CELEBRATION OF CHRISTMAS.  

I believe that this prophecy of Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist paints a vivid picture of the true purpose behind the entrance of Christ into this world. Zechariah is like many of us, he faced his season of doubt as he began the prophetic journey of the birth of Christ. Let us remember the response of the father to be of John the Baptist when he was told that his wife Elizabeth would bear a son. Luke 1:18-20, “Zechariah said to the angel, “How can I be sure this will happen? I’m an old man now, and my wife is also well along in years.” 19 Then the angel said, “I am Gabriel! I stand in the very presence of God. It was he who sent me to bring you this good news! 20 But now, since you didn’t believe what I said, you will be silent and unable to speak until the child is born. For my words will certainly be fulfilled at the proper time.” Haven’t each of us had those moments in which we asked God those same words, “How can I be sure this will happen?” Aren’t you thankful that God chose to send us some gentle reminders of His ability to fulfill His promise rather than remove our ability to speak?  But even the doubts, fears, and concerns of Zechariah did not hinder the purpose of the entrance of Christ into this world!!!
Let me remind you of the words of the Prophet Isaiah in chapter 9, verse 6.
  For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 

The promises of God are true and we can believe them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment