Thursday, December 17, 2015

Christmas Musings


The last few days prior to Christmas are upon us. I realize that all of us have much to do as we plan and prepare for the Christmas celebration with our friends and families. The social calendar can be full with many wonderful and pleasurable activities. But what about our "spiritual calendar?" Is it as full as our social calendar or do each of us even have a "spiritual calendar?" I personally don't think listening to Christmas carols driving down the road or at work should really count unless we are specifically taking time to listen to the words or even taking time to read the words of the songs. I do believe that these songs have a powerful message to share if we will truly take time to meditate on the message. The word "message" is the key word and I am not referencing the sermon that I share on Sunday mornings although I do believe the message of the Pastor is meant to play an important role in our lives. 

Each of us need to ask ourselves this question; "Is the true message of Christ getting lost in all of the different messages that have become connected with Christmas?" I am not promoting the idea that we need to cancel the secular celebration of Christmas but I am promoting the concept that each of us need to make sure that we are keeping the spiritual revelation of Christmas alive in our hearts. I have made an effort this year to re-read the different stories that are found in the Bible concerning the birth of Christ. We have been looking at a few of them in the Wednesday evening adult time of discussion. I have been somewhat amazed at some of the story lines that I have missed through the years simply because I thought that I knew the story of the birth of Christ. But in reality I only knew the major events or learned about the major characters of the story rather than delving into the event as well as the lives of the characters. These readings have been a personal blessing to me to say the least.

I desire to encourage you to make time for Christ in your calendar. One of the stories of the birth of Christ reveals to us that Mary and Joseph found the inn full of guests. They were sent to the stable where Christ was born. What is our lives full of today? Where do we send Christ when our lives are so full of activities that we have no room for Him in our lives?  Do we take the time to worship Him on a daily basis? The story of Christmas calls us to action. Take the appropriate action and make room for Christ this Christmas season.


No comments:

Post a Comment