Tuesday, December 1, 2015

It is Beginning to Look a Lot Like...

John 1:14, "So the Word became human and made his home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son." (NLT)

I can remember when this past weekend (Thanksgiving) would have been the "kickoff" of the Christmas season. But the major corporations of our world have made sure that our "celebration" of Christmas began several months ago when the first displays of trees, ornaments, decorations, etc. began to appear in various shopping outlets. I do not want to appear to be a "Scrooge" as I share my thoughts but it is somewhat discouraging to realize the type of celebration that the remembrance of the birth of Christ, our Savior has become. 

I fully realize that I can not change the plans of corporate America and I may not even be able to influence the attitude of my fellow human beings. BUT I do have the opportunity and ability to make sure that Christ does not get lost in all of the clutter, noise, distractions, events, meals, gifts, etc. that have become associated with Christmas. 

I also understand that people grow tired of cliche's that contain tons of rhetoric and very little substance. I can be moved to take action if I make the effort to fully understand the true substance of the baby in the manger. I can be moved to action if I take the time to re-acquaint myself with the central character of the "Christmas story." I can take action if I take time to read the Word of God and realize it reveals the plan of our Heavenly Father to provide eternal reconciliation to humanity.

That resurgence of knowledge might lead me to say "Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah" instead of "Ho-Ho-Ho."  

No comments:

Post a Comment