Thursday, April 13, 2017

Maundy Thursday

We have moved into the second half of Holy Week. Some writers refer to yesterday as "Silent Wednesday" in the last week of the earthly life of Jesus. This is because there is no specific declaration of any activity of Jesus that day other than it appears that He would spend time alone with His Father. Let us remember that each of us needs those times of meditation, contemplation and even quietness in the presence of God. These moments allow us to "drink in" the refreshing presence of God during our journey of life.

Today is Maundy Thursday. This is the day that Jesus celebrated what we reference as the "Last Supper" with His disciples. We now celebrate Communion or the Lord's Supper in which we are encouraged to remember and reflect on Christ and the sacrifice that was made for our sins. I believe that the remembrance of the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross should be a daily occurrence in the lives of born again believers. I am blessed when I have the privilege to celebrate Communion with the family of God but I am also blessed when I am able to celebrate Jesus Christ in my personal times of devotion, prayer, meditation and reflection. I encourage you to take some time on this Maundy Thursday and reflect on the price that Jesus paid for your salvation. It was not a cheap discounted price; it cost Jesus His life.

Luke 22:19-20, And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 20 Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you.(NKJV)
Today's Prayer:
·         God, I hand over to You those things that make me so afraid. Resurrect the parts of my faith squelched by fear.
·         God, when my soul is searching, help me know the answer to every longing can be found in You.
·         God, the fact that Jesus is risen should lift my head, my heart and my attitude. Help me to live today as if I really believe this with every part of my life.
·         Jesus, You keep Your promises. Help me live as though I believe that with every part of me. Help me trust You more, obey You more and resemble You more.
·         Jesus, You had the angels invite the women in to see for themselves that You had risen. You invite me into these personal revelations every day. Forgive me for sometimes rushing about and forgetting to come and see for myself ... You, Your Word, Your insights.
·         Jesus, I don't want to be a secret keeper with my faith. I want to be a bold and gracious truth proclaimer. For You. With You. Because of You.
- Lysa TerKeurst

No comments:

Post a Comment