Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Personal Reflections

During my time of personal devotions this morning a song kept flowing through my spirit.  Some of the words of this song goes like this; "I will bless the Lord, Oh my soul, and all that is within me.  I will bless His holy name.  He has done great things for me, He has done great things for me, He has done great things for me, Bless His holy name."  My heart was filled with rejoicing as I began to reflect on just a small portion of the blessings that God has given to me through the years of my life.  Those moments of reflection afforded me the opportunity to share my praise with God and afforded me the opportunity to offer some moments of sincere praise and adoration to the True and living God.

It was during this song that my mind drifted back to a sermon that I heard Dr. Tom Renfroe share in a Minister's Conference in Kentucky.  Dr. Renfroe received a miraculous healing from cancer and in his sermon he reminded us of what He says to people who are facing uncertain circumstances.  He reminds them to enter the presence of God with thanksgiving and praise (based on the Psalms).  Dr. Renfroe said that he encourages people to practice this very approach to God as they seek Him for healing or other forms of deliverance that they may need.  I was challenged by those words and I have made it a practice in my time of prayer and interaction with God.  I have found my faith both encouraged and strengthened as I pause to reflect on what God has done (thanksgiving) and who God is (praise).  I sincerely believe that each of you will see your faith grow stronger as we shift our thought process away from our needs and we shift our thought process towards the greatness of our God.

This process of shifting our thinking and reflection will lead us to sing another chorus from the old song that I referenced earlier in my post.  That line of the song declares; "He will do great things, He will do great things, Bless His Holy name."  God will do great things in our lives and we need to give Him praise and honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment