Thursday, January 12, 2012

Experiences vs Experiencing

The Discipleship class last evening brought a great reminder to my heart as I participated in the discussion.  Christians have a tendency to describe their relationship with God based on an experience or  a series of experiences that they have received from God.  We use such words or phrases as my Salvation experience; my Spirit filled experience; my water baptism experience, or the experience of sanctification just to name a few.  I believe in each of these experiences but we must be careful and not limit our relationship with God to those moments of an encounter with God and allow ourselves to become content with just those wonderful moments.  God is so much greater than just any initial encounter with Him.  God has so much more to offer to each of us than just those initial encounters.  Just for a moment think about your friendships that you have developed with various individuals over the course of your life.  Aren't you glad that you went beyond the initial introduction to that person?  Many of us have even developed life long friendships with people that started with a casual introduction at church or at work.  I do not mean to imply that our initial introduction to God was a "casual" one but I do want you to see the need for the continual development of that relationship with God.  Aren't you glad that you chose to go beyond a surface relationship with that individual who would become a life long friend?  That transition happened because you chose to develop that relationship with your new friend not fully realizing the end result of that relationship.  I believe that we must chose to take that same posture with God and realize that He desires to see our relationship develop with Him.  After all did not God call Abraham His friend?  I am glad to declare that I  have chosen and continue to choose to make a conscious decision that I will seek to develop my personal relationship with God!

No comments:

Post a Comment