Friday, January 24, 2014

Consistent Commitment

Luke 9:21-24, "And He strictly warned and commanded them to tell this to no one, 22 saying, “The Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day.” 23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. 24 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it." (NKJV) 
 
Over the past few days I have sensed the Spirit reminding me of the need to have a heart of "consistent commitment." It is so easy to develop an attitude of serving God from a sense of convenience rather than commitment. We can also develop an attitude of serving God if it is beneficial to my life rather than serving Him because there is a strong love connection in my heart for Him. Let me explain that statement a little further.
 
I am sick and realize that only God can provide the healing that I need. I find myself more interested in the "things" of God hoping that God will forget my lack of commitment. I am in need of employment so I show up at church and ask for them to pray with me concerning my request. I hope God overlooks the fact that I have not been in church for several weeks or even months. My marriage is in trouble and I begin to encourage my wife and children of the need to "get back in church." I am desperate so I hope that God has forgotten all of those days that I was too busy or too "tired" to make my way to church.
 
Let me quickly hasten to add these words, "I believe that God is interested in your health. I believe that God is interested in your need for employment. I believe that God is interested in healing and strengthening your marriage." BUT I also believe that God is interested in the health and spiritual development of your soul and my soul. The plan of God is an eternal plan and not just a temporary plan of "fixing" you so that you can survive in this world. A relationship with God is intended to make a difference in you in the here and now and also prepare you for your eternal destiny.
 
Take a moment today and examine your level of commitment. On a scale of 1-10 where do you stand? Don't compare yourself to someone else. Take a serious look at YOUR LIFE and examine the condition of your heart and life. God loves you and He desires to work in your heart and life. Don't grow cold and indifferent but seek for your love and passion for God to be revived and strengthened!!

No comments:

Post a Comment