Monday, February 10, 2014

How Do You See God?, Part 2

I have never traveled to a large number of exotic and majestic tourist attractions in my lifetime. I do remember flying over the Grand Canyon several years ago as Ann and I traveled to California for a speaking engagement. I was completely amazed at the beauty of this "wonder" of God's creation. I was literally caught off guard through what I was able to identify from the window of an airplane. I can only imagine what it would have been like to have seen the view of the same canyon from an up close and personal viewpoint. Each of you could make that same statement about things and places that you have seen in your lifetime. I remember the first time I saw the Smokey Mountain range. Do you remember the first time that you viewed the ocean? I remember being amazed as we drove up and around Big Bear Mountain on the trip to California.
 
I could continue to share about some other "famous" places that we have visited but I have also seen the greatness of God in day to day observations of things in my locale. The beauty of a sunrise; the drama of a sunset; the ice on the limbs of trees that shimmer like diamonds and fancy glitter; the laugh of a baby; the warm embrace of your family; etc. Is anyone getting my point at this juncture of the post? ISN'T GOD SIMPLY AMAZING AS HE REVEALS HIMSELF TO US? The amazing greatness of God can be identified in far away places but also in the activities of your daily life.
 
But this question remains with us and it can be pictured as the proverbial "elephant in the room." Why have we lost our awe and wonder at the presence of God? Why are we so easily overwhelmed by the things that God has created or inspired and yet we find ourselves so "underwhelmed" by the presence of God? We are impressed with the temporal and yet the Eternal Lord God Almighty is so easily overlooked by a generation that seeks, desires and lives for immediate gratification. Each of us fight daily to keep from becoming captured by this attitude that is so prevalent in our society and I am saddened to report that it has made its way into the church. Is it possible that we love and revere the creation more than the Creator? Is it possible that we worship what God has created more than we worship God? I don't write this to criticize but I do write this to provoke some serious introspection from each of us. Let us commit to worship God for who He is and not just for what He has provided for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment