Thursday, November 20, 2014

Doing What is RIGHT!

James 1:22, “But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.”  (NKJV).

Our Life Group at church last night had some very interesting discussion concerning Daniel's trip into the den of lions. I will not take the time to go into great detail about all of the discussion but I do feel led to make reference to one point that was brought to our attention by one of the brothers who was in attendance. Daniel had previously made his decision concerning his obedience to God prior to his entrance into the den of lions. His decision had been made when he chose to pray as he had normally prayed even when a law had been passed that made his praying illegal. 

His courage to face the lions had been developed through his courageous decision to do what was right regardless of what everyone else may have chosen to do. The failure to obey the law of the land put him on a collision course with the den of lions but Daniel possessed a strong desire to do what was right. Isn't that one of the character traits that we need in the modern day church? Isn't that one of the character traits that I need in my personal life on a daily basis? Isn't that one of the character traits that we need to demonstrate to our family, friends, and fellow believers? Do you remember the question that Jesus asked in Luke 18:8b, "...Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?" (NKJV)

I read these words in one of my devotionals this morning. I felt that they confirmed what God was speaking to us about last night.

"When we hear from God and think we are done – that is self-deceit.

When we hear from God and put it into practice – that is godly obedience.

I once attended a leadership conference that changed my life in many ways. The speakers did not talk about money or success. They focused on the fact that God created each one of us in response to His unique plan for our lives. One of the simplest but most powerful motto's I came away from that conference with was: “Do it now!”

I truly believe that God is looking for faithful obedience from His followers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment