Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Meditation

I recently read a post by a blogger friend of mine who reminded us that some Christians are afraid of the word "meditation" because in many cases it is associated with New Age Religion. I understand those fears may have some factual evidence but it still does not change the call from God to meditate on His Word. It is a blessing as well as a benefit to study, meditate, or think about the Word of God and the impact that it can have on our daily lives. Many of us have found the Bible to be an answer for us as we were facing certain circumstances in our lives or in the life of a family member. I remember sitting in a waiting room of a hospital in Nashville, Tennessee in the early Spring of 1986. My wife's brother was in a coma from a serious car accident in which he had suffered a severe head injury. The Doctors had reached the conclusion that Danny would more than likely remain in that vegetative condition for the reminder of his days on earth. We were waiting for visiting hours when Ann picked up a Gideon Bible and begin to read. The Spirit led her to a passage in Psalm which became her "verse of promise." She read the verse out loud to me and then she made this statement to me; "Michael, I have got to read this verse to Danny as soon as we go into his room." I realized that the Word of God had made a direct impact on her faith and she wanted to release that faith into her brother's life. Needless to say, that verse was read when we entered his room and that verse was read every time that we entered his room. FYI: Danny recovered, went back to his job after a time of recovery and rehab. He has since retired from that job and has moved to Kentucky and attends church with us. 

Meditating on the Word of God does pay great dividends in our lives.

Would you take a moment to meditate on the following promises in Psalm 34?

I will praise the Lord at all times.
    I will constantly speak his praises.
I will boast only in the Lord;
    let all who are helpless take heart.
Come, let us tell of the Lord’s greatness;
    let us exalt his name together.
I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me.
    He freed me from all my fears.
Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy;
    no shadow of shame will darken their faces.
In my desperation I prayed, and the Lord listened;
    he saved me from all my troubles.
For the angel of the Lord is a guard;
    he surrounds and defends all who fear him.
Taste and see that the Lord is good.
    Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him! (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment