Friday, February 20, 2015

Participation

Luke 9:23-26, "Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. 24 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 25 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost or destroyed? 26 If anyone is ashamed of me and my message, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when he returns in his glory and in the glory of the Father and the holy angels." (NLT)

I believe that Lent can remind us that Christ calls us to participate with Him in the work of His Kingdom. I must make a definite decision to follow Christ; that will require more than just being a spectator. I define a "spiritual spectator" as someone who enjoys the view from the sidelines but chooses not to become involved in what is taking place on the field. 

Jesus uses some words of action in verse 23 of Luke 9. These words are "turn from, take up, and follow." These actions are going to be very difficult to complete as long as we remain in an easy chair on the sideline. I must take willful action to put myself in a position to fulfill these commands/directives from the lips of our Savior. These are not the requests of a Pastor, parent or a dear friend. These are the words of our Lord and Savior as He describes the activity of a person who chooses to become a disciple (follower, learner) of His. 

I encourage you to NOT focus on the requirements of this challenge but to focus on the rewards of walking through life in the footsteps of Jesus Christ. I encourage you to remember the Love of God that was demonstrated for you as Christ went to the cross in your place. I encourage you to remember the promise that Christ would never leave you alone as you travel the road called life. Walking with Christ is a blessing to those who choose to enter into the fullness of that relationship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment