Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Should I Praise Him?

Psalm 59:16-17, "But I will sing of your strength in the morning I will sing of your love, for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble. 17 You are my strength, I sing praise to you; you, God, are my fortress, my God on whom I can rely." (NIV)

This song is written during a difficult time in David's life. Saul has sent men to David's house. They are there seeking an opportunity to kill him. But in the midst of this trial/challenge/battle/struggle David lifts His voice in a declaration of praise and hope. 

David compares his enemies to "snarling dogs that prowl the city" looking for an opportunity to move in for the kill. These enemies were not snipers on a hillside; they were literally in close proximity to his home. They were dutifully looking for an opportunity to spring their plan of death and destruction. BUT what was David's response?

David declares these words in verses 9 & 10. "You are my strength, I watch for you; you, God, are my fortress, my God on whom I can rely." Do we watch for God to show up in the midst of our challenges/struggles? Do we turn our eyes toward Heaven and look for our Helper to arrive? Or do we bask in gloom and despair as people without hope?

I truly believe that some of our greatest times of praise, worship, and adoration can take place and has taken place during our most difficult times. Brokenness can tenderize our hearts toward God and tender hearts become more sensitive to the presence of a Loving God who is truly interested in our spiritual well being. 

The title of this post raised a question, "Should I Praise Him?" I answer that question with an unequivocal YES! Yes, we should offer our praise to God and realize that He never leaves us alone. He is our refuge and fortress in times of difficulty. 
my God on whom I can rely.

No comments:

Post a Comment