Thursday, May 18, 2017

Tough Love

Hebrews 6:10, For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor of love which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister.(NKJV) (Emphasis Added)

The title of this post may draw some people's attention simply because of the word "tough." Each of us probably have our own set of ideas when we see the words "tough love" written in conjunction with each other. My initial thoughts would revolve around the concept of discipline when I hear or read these words. Discipline may be required to draw the attention of the person that we believe needs "tough love." But I will leave that post to another time; that is not my inspiration today although I do believe that there are many people who do need to experience "tough love" during their journey of life.

But today I am going to take another approach to "tough love." Don't you believe that there are some people that are "tough" to love? People may exhibit the attitude that "I don't need someone to love me." People may exhibit the attitude that they have "tried" to love and allow someone to love them and it just did not work out correctly. People my exhibit the attitude that they are "unworthy" of someone's love (This would even include the love of God). People may exhibit the attitude that they have encountered individuals who "pretended" to love and that they were tired of being deceived. I am sure that you could create your own list of reasons of why people are "tough" to love.

Do you think that Jesus loved some individuals that were "tough" to love? You and I could have been individuals that were "tough' to love but someone refused to give up on us. We certainly know that God is longsuffering and full of love and mercy for EVERYONE!!

Chuck Swindoll shares this insight with us today:

The ABCs of Love
"I accept you as you are."
"I believe you are valuable."
"I care when you hurt."
"I desire only what is best for you."
"I erase all offenses."

We could call that the ABCs of love. And I don't know of anybody who would turn his back on such magnetic, encouraging statements.

There is nothing shallow about authentic love. Nor is it a magic wand we whip out and wave over a problem with a whoosh, hoping all the pain will go away.

Real love has staying power. Authentic love is tough love. It refuses to look for ways to run away. It always opts for working through. It doesn't cop out because the sea gets stormy and rough. It's fibrous and resilient . . . .

While the world around us gives the opposite counsel, love stands firm.

Real, authentic love has staying power. It refuses to look for ways to run away.

2 comments:

  1. Love this. Especially "Real love has staying power. Authentic love is tough love." That's what Christ has given me. What I desire to give to others and desire to experience myself in my own personal life.

    ReplyDelete