Wednesday, February 2, 2011

People of Influence

The post yesterday reminded us to remember those individuals who have made a positive impact on our lives either through their actions or their words.  A number of individuals have come to my mind as I have pondered this thought over the past several days.  My perspective on life has been molded and shaped by these encounters and these episodes of influence throughout my childhood and even into my adulthood.  I want to share about one of these encounters that affected my life last week.

I scheduled a meeting with our Youth Pastor at New River Worship Center.  We were meeting for lunch to review the youth work of 2010 and to plan for the youth work in 2011.  I became acquainted with Brandon at the end of 2009.  Our friendship and working relationship began to develop throughout 2010 as he became an integral part of the church plant in Radcliff, KY.  Pastor Brandon is a wonderful Christian man with a great heart for the things of God and he also possesses a wealth of knowledge not only about the Bible but also about many of the current as well as past events of our nation.  I am always learning something when I either listen to Brandon speak in public or when I just have a normal conversation with him.  I have learned to cherish the friendship and spiritual relationship that is developing between Brandon and myself.  

Brandon has health issues that he deals with every day but he has chosen not to let these health issues limit his work for Christ and limit his enjoyment of life.  Time and space will not allow me to go into detail regarding these health issues but I wanted you to know that Brandon chooses to push past each of these so that he can be an effective Christian, an effective son, an effective husband, and soon to be an effective father. Brandon suffered a severe brain injury through a fall several years ago in addition to the health issues that he has dealt with in his short life.  He shared some of the things that he had to overcome as he began his recovery process from the brain injury.  He had to re-learn some of the tasks that we take for granted on many days of our lives.  But once again he chose not to be defined by those moments of re-learning his skills but he applied himself until he was able to regain his abilities to function in society.  But he did not stop there; he wanted to do more than just live, he desired for his life to make a difference in this world through his witness for Christ as well as his service in the Kingdom of God.  Many of you may never personally know Pastor Brandon but I am one person who has been influenced through his desire to make a difference in this world.  My daily struggles do not compare to some of the struggles that I know Brandon faces and I am sure that there are many struggles that I will never know.  Brandon has taught me perseverance. Brandon has taught me compassion for others.  Brandon has taught me to continue looking ahead and not to be defined by the past.  Brandon has taught me the joy of serving others even when I am not feeling well.  Brandon has taught me that God has a plan for my life even when difficult circumstances arise.  I want to thank Pastor Brandon for being a positive influence and I pray that I can teach others some of the lessons that Brandon's life has shared with me.  Remember, we need to pass on to others the lessons that God teaches us through the lives of our family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment